Test Knitting Forum for Anadiomena and Monika Sirna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 Empty Re: Simnia Layette - PHOTO added

Post  JanHarvey Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

maritere wrote:I like the cords that you have on your sample.  Which one did you make?

Do you want pictures up or not yet?
I knitted them.
Sorry for taking time to reply - I've stopped gettting notifications for the forum.

And please no photos on Rav just yet - project page is fine though. Thanks.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JanHarvey

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:17 pm

maritere wrote:Jan, finished hat and almost done with one bootie.  Both just fit my 3mo size doll.  I'll try and get pictures on here later today.

For the sole Rnd 1, after the second k15, I'm left with only 3 sts to work k2tog, k3.  I have 48 per pattern from the previous section.
How would you like me to proceed?
Good catch!
Here is the revision
Sole
Rnd 1: [k3, SSK, k14, k2tog, k3] repeat twice.
Rnd 2, 4 & 6: knit.
Rnd 3: [k3, SSK, k12, k2tog, k3] repeat twice.
Rnd 5: [k3, SSK, k10, k2tog, k3] repeat twice.
Total: 36 sts.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

Thank you finished one bootie and past the cuff on the second. The foot of the bootie has a slight bit of room. The cuff is a little snug even though I worked it with 2 needles sizes smaller instead of 3. Here are some pictures. Neither of the items have been blocked yet and have no cords but I wanted to show you. This is a really lovely set!

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 10910
Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 11010
Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 11110
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 am

Working on second repeat of shell pattern - love the pattern - it looks fancy but is fairly mindless knitting I can do while watching tv which is always A+... only issue I had was which way to slip st... I am doing it purlwise??? I'm terrible with the rules on this, but a possible suggestion to put in the pattern which way to slip... otherwise my numbers are coming out perfect!

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:14 pm

photocowgirl wrote:Working on second repeat of shell pattern - love the pattern -  it looks fancy but is fairly mindless knitting I can do while watching tv which is always A+...  only issue I had was which way to slip st...  I am doing it purlwise???  I'm terrible with the rules on this, but a possible suggestion to put in the pattern which way to slip...  otherwise my numbers are coming out perfect!
Hmm, good point - I was going to do a video tutorial when I have Elena's yarn to knit with. But yes you only slip them so as to drop the extra loops.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm

maritere wrote:Thank you finished one bootie and past the cuff on the second.  The foot of the bootie has a slight bit of room.  The cuff is a little snug even though I worked it with 2 needles sizes smaller instead of 3.  Here are some pictures.  Neither of the items have been blocked yet and have no cords but I wanted to show you.   This is a really lovely set!
So happy to see another blue set! I will put some thought into the cuff - it is meant to fit snugly. The sole section - I always liked a bit of room so my babies could wiggle their toes - unlike socks.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:17 pm

It's not so much that it fits snug as that it does not stretch much when putting on. Maybe a stretchy cast on?
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 00910

Jan,

Here is a picture of the sweater neckline that I just started.  I'm making the smallest size.  I can't promise to finish by Nov 3 but I'll try. I'll have to get my other tests done by the deadline first. I'll be posting a picture of the hat and booties with the cords in place tomorrow.

I'm working according to the pattern.  The third row after the buttonhole winds up being a RS row which I just finished.  However, according to the pattern, the next row which is the increase row is also a RS row.  Also, note that the buttonhole is on the left if I work it with the RS of the CO as the RS of the sweater.  I can continue working it as the pattern says but the WS of the cast on will be on the RS.  What would you like me to do?
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 am

Here is a picture of the sweater neckline that I just started.  I'm making the smallest size.  I can't promise to finish by Nov 3 but I'll try.  I'll have to get my other tests done by the deadline first.  I'll be posting a picture of the hat and booties with the cords in place tomorrow.  

I'm working according to the pattern.  The third row after the buttonhole winds up being a RS row which I just finished.  However, according to the pattern, the next row which is the increase row is also a RS row.  Also, note that the buttonhole is on the left if I work it with the RS of the CO as the RS of the sweater.  I can continue working it as the pattern says but the WS of the cast on will be on the RS.  What would you like me to do?
The buttonhole is made on a RS row - I used the side of my (long tail) cast on that I preferred as the RS.
The increases rows are also RS rows.
If you really do not like what will be the Rs of your work now (according to buttonhole) then would you like to move the buttonhole up a row and work one more knit row.  This would mean you have 5 knit rows before the buttonhole.
I did toy with have buttonholes for boys and girls then decided it got too confusing through the pattern to have both options stated for the appropriate rows. Therefore i removed one of them - i intended to leave it on the girls side but I've gone and left the boy one in...

What do think of having the first buttonhole row saying both options i.e. written for girl and boy/unisex?  Then tell people to count garter ridges and place buttonholes as before on each 10th/12th row or after 5/6 garter ridges as seen on Rs.

I have just noticed too that putting the extra size in (16") that it has messed up the buttonholes - I did think I had checked it all too so it was okay, hmm.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 am

I did the long tail cast on.  Normally the side that faces you as you work it is considered the RS (which is the side you have showing).  The WS comes out as a purl row.  According to the instructions, with the "RS" showing, my buttonhole is on the left side.  If I want it on the right I would have the WS of the cast on showing.  Since I'm working in blue, I'll add another ridge and leave it on the left side with the proper RS of the cast on showing and ready for the increase row on the RS.

You can give the 2 options for buttonhole by making it either at the beginning or end of the row.  I took a look at your picture again.  You have exactly what I have only your buttonhole is on the right.  You have the correct RS of cast on showing and four purl ridges.  According to the instructions, my buttonhole was worked on a WS row at the end of the row.  Was yours worked on a WS row?   The thing is, which side of the cast on you want showing.  I think is the row count that needs changing.  If you cut down the 4 rows worked before buttonhole to 3, I would have RS cast on showing, four purl ridges and buttonhole on right with the next row for increases being a RS row.  In other words, the buttonhole should be worked on row 4 not row 5.

P.S.  My own writing sounded confused so I ripped back to the end of row 3 (WS row as the first row is also a WS row).  On the next row, row 4and a RS row, I worked the buttonhole at the beginning for a left side buttonhole.  Then I worked 3 more rows per patt, WS, RS, WS.  That put me on to a RS row next for increases giving 4 purl ridges as I stated above.

I hope I was able to make myself clear!  Let me know if there is anything I can clarify further.

P.P.S.  It would be helpful to state under M1 that strand should be picked up from front to back.

Last edited by maritere on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:42 pm

So I made first buttonhole on row 4 then worked 3 more garter rows. Then worked two rows in box and went to row 5a. That's tenth row for next buttonholen (3 garter ridges inbetween). It seems a little close compared to yours though it might be ok for the smaller size. Do you want me to continue with buttonhole every tenth row.
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Here is the finished picture of the booties and hat.

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 00210

Last edited by maritere on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  jkubricht Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Jan, I'm 11 inches into the blanket and have used 325 yards of yarn. I'm getting just under 5 inches of pattern per ball (130 yards) so at the halfway point it should be about 455 yards, times 2 is 910 yards of yarn for the medium sized blanket.
jkubricht
jkubricht

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 pm

maritere wrote:So I made first buttonhole on row 4 then worked 3 more garter rows.  Then worked two rows in box and went to row 5a.  That's tenth row for next buttonholen (3 garter ridges inbetween).  It seems a little close compared to yours though it might be ok for the smaller size.  Do you want me to continue with buttonhole every tenth row.
The buttonholes is meant to be worked on a RS row - so you should have 5 garter ridges inbetween for your size - that is every tenth row.
Mine were every 12th for the bigger sizes.

The hat and booties pic is very cute! thank you.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm

jkubricht wrote:Jan, I'm 11 inches into the blanket and have used 325 yards of yarn. I'm getting just under 5 inches of pattern per ball (130 yards) so at the halfway point it should be about 455 yards, times 2 is 910 yards of yarn for the medium sized blanket.
Thanks Jeannie!
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm

JanHarvey wrote:
maritere wrote:So I made first buttonhole on row 4 then worked 3 more garter rows.  Then worked two rows in box and went to row 5a.  That's tenth row for next buttonholen (3 garter ridges inbetween).  It seems a little close compared to yours though it might be ok for the smaller size.  Do you want me to continue with buttonhole every tenth row.
The buttonholes is meant to be worked on a RS row - so you should have 5 garter ridges inbetween for your size - that is every tenth row.

The hat and booties pic is very cute! thank you.
Oops!  Miscounted on that one!  So my next buttonhole won't be on row 5a? Or was I supposed to work the rows after the box too?
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 pm

maritere wrote:
JanHarvey wrote:
Oops!  Miscounted on that one!  So my next buttonhole won't be on row 5a?  Or was I supposed to work the rows after the box too?
For the 16" work the Increase row in the shaded box.
Then go to Row 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. I will make that clearer that row 1 is for all sizes.

I am seriously thinking that it would be better to remove all indication of buttonholes on further rows. I.e. just say to make a buttonhole on the 10th (12th ,12th) row as before. What do you think?

Maria - there are buttonholes mentioned later on - I know some are in the wrong place for your size - I intended your size to have them on the 10th rows i.e. 5 garter ridges in-between - the 4th one is on the last RS row before the sleeve separation.
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:00 pm

I haven't read further on, but if you think it might be confusing, then you are better off just saying "work buttonholes every X rows/X garter ridges."

On Row 9, you have to take instructions for buttonhole out if you are going with the above.  If not, then you need to specify which sizes it pertains to.  Same for Rows 21 and 30c.

The buttonhole instructions for the third and fourth one for size 16" assume the second one was worked on Row 5a.  If one works short rows, then they are off.
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Here is a progress pictures. No further issues with pattern.

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 00112
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 pm

For sleeves, after the first decrease it gives a total of 40 sts for the smallest size. It should be 38. 36 sts were put on hold for sleeves, then a total of 4 picked up. That's 40 sts. Then 2 were decreased = 38.
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 am

maritere wrote:For sleeves, after the first decrease it gives a total of 40 sts for the smallest size.  It should be 38.  36 sts were put on hold for sleeves, then a total of 4 picked up.  That's 40 sts.  Then 2 were decreased = 38.
Thank you!

I'm loving the blue cardi - it looks perfect!
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Finished. Just needs weaving in ends, blocking and buttons.
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 am

I'm working on the proper set for photos now - just took a couple of snaps today with Hannah of the originals set

[img]Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 Img_0110[/img]
Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 Img_0111
JanHarvey
JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:26 am

Hannah looks so cute trying to be asleep!  Blankets and hat look beautiful!

Just have buttons left to go on the weater. I'll try for today and take pics.
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  maritere Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Here is a finished pic.

Simnia Layette - PHOTO added - Page 2 00114
maritere
maritere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content