This Way,That Way

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This Way,That Way

Post  JanHarvey on Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 am

[img(400px,400px)][/img]

Sleeveless vest/tank top.
Chest sizes 20-34".  There is 0-1" of ease, so if you want it to be worn over other clothing or prefer looser items then make the next size up.

Worked in the round from the hemline up, then flat. Shoulders are seamed - though an experienced person may prefer to graft or use 3 needles bind off.
Uses two contrasting yarns.  Main colour for hemline ribbing, neckband, sleeve cuffs.  The main and contrast are worked on alternate rows for the rest of the body.
There are instructions for a simpler plain one too.  Pattern is nearly typed up!

Gauge 22stx28rows = 10cm/4" - row gauge can vary a little. Sports to DK weight yarn.  I've used Sirdar Snuggly and Sirdar Baby Crofter Fair Isle in the one above.

Any interest?

Chest sizes:
20 -
22 -
24 -
26 - Jan (JanHarvey)
27 -
28 - Jan (JanHarvey)
30 -
32 -
34 -

Last edited by JanHarvey on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 8 times in total

I'm now a guest author on Elena's Blog - come and take a look!
JanHarvey
Admin

View user profile http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JanHarvey

Back to top Go down

Re: This Way,That Way

Post  jkubricht on Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 am

Jan, it's adorable! I wish I could test but my girls have been so difficult to knit for lately. They don't want to wear anything I make for them besides skirts. It's really cute though! Smile
jkubricht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  deidre12345 on Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

So cute! Totally depends on your deadline though. How much yarn did you use for your sample?
deidre12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 pm

deidre12345 wrote:So cute! Totally depends on your deadline though. How much yarn did you use for your sample?

Deidre - Hannah is wearing 26" chest size, though I would prefer it was a bit longer as she is quite tall!  It used exactly 140 yds of contrast, 230 yds of Main.
That one is in Sirdar Snuggly DK and Sirdar Crofter Baby Fair Isle.

I'm nearly done typing up the pattern but would like to make another before sending it out.
I'm easy on timeline atm.

Last edited by JanHarvey on Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Fri May 29, 2015 8:10 pm

jkubricht wrote:Jan, it's adorable! I wish I could test but my girls have been so difficult to knit for lately. They don't want to wear anything I make for them besides skirts. It's really cute though! Smile

Thank you Jeannie. Sounds like they are going through the 'cool' phase...

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cicha on Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 am

great, what is deadline?
Cicha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KnittingMonkeys on Sat May 30, 2015 10:33 am

This is so cute! I would be interested, depending on deadline. My DD's chest measures 25 inches. I'm picturing something variegated for the MC with a nice bright CC.
KnittingMonkeys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aga2md on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:23 pm

This looks like it could be a nice project for my son. He has a 24" chest but is very tall. I would be interested in the looser fit vest, so a size 26" for him.
If the deadline is later in July, I would be able to test. I could also possibly Shocked test the 24" size for my daughter who has a 22" chest.
Please let me know if I should plan on the 26" vest, Thanks Smile

aga2md

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:15 am

Pattern is sent. If anyone else wants to join let me know, I am thinking the end of August to publish.

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:16 am

aga2md wrote:This looks like it could be a nice project for my son. He has a 24" chest but is very tall. I would be interested in the looser fit vest, so a size 26" for him.
If the deadline is later in July, I would be able to test. I could also possibly Shocked test the 24" size for my daughter who has a 22" chest.  

Yes if you want looser fit go for the bigger chest and work to the length you prefer.

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deidre12345 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:34 am

Thank you Janet! I can't start right away, but I am thinking this will be perfect for a back to school outfit for szonja in wool on top of a buttoned collared shirt. Her chest right now is 23". I will likely start next month, so I will remeasure then, but likely I will do the 26". Does that seem like the right size?
deidre12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cicha on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:11 am

Janet, I prefer more ease for a vest, but I will let you know about the size, because I need to think who will need this vest most.
Cicha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aga2md on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:24 am

JanHarvey wrote:
aga2md wrote:This looks like it could be a nice project for my son. He has a 24" chest but is very tall. I would be interested in the looser fit vest, so a size 26" for him.

Yes if you want looser fit go for the bigger chest and work to the length you prefer.

I received the pattern. I will start switching for this in a couple of days. I will make the 26 for my son. I think a yellow and blue vest.
With the deadline in August, I think I should be able to work a 24 for my daughter but no guarantees on that one!

aga2md

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cicha on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

my yarn is on it's way!
Cicha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:39 pm

deidre12345 wrote:Thank you Janet! I can't start right away, but I am thinking this will be perfect for a back to school outfit for szonja in wool on top of a buttoned collared shirt. Her chest right now is 23". I will likely start next month, so I will remeasure then, but likely I will do the 26". Does that seem like the right size?

Yes it does.

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:41 pm

I received the pattern. I will start switching for this in a couple of days. I will make the 26 for my son. I think a yellow and blue vest.
With the deadline in August, I think I should be able to work a 24 for my daughter  but no guarantees on that one!

Sounds good! I've done another in a teal and yellow it looks good!

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Cicha wrote:my yarn is on it's way!

So glad you're joining us!

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deidre12345 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 pm

By the way, I took this project on a day bus trip and finished through the back. A very relaxing quick knit! I used mercerized sport/dk weight cotton, sunny multi pinks with off white, my only hiccup and the reason I haven't finished is that I ran out of the white, waited for the store to get another shipment but their new dye lot of off white is much darker, I haven't decided yet what to do, but I am going to shop around for other similar yarn in other brands to see if they are more similar. Otherwise I will just use plain white and write it off as a play shirt and pretend it isn't noticeable.

Eta I did the size 5-6 and knit 9.5 inches to the underarm for my almost six year old, who is smallish for her age, something like 3.5 feet tall.
deidre12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  deidre12345 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:29 pm

JanHarvey wrote:

With the deadline in August, I think I should be able to work a 24 for my daughter  but no guarantees on that one!

Sounds good! I've done another in a teal and yellow it looks good!

Funny because I have some teal and yellow I thought about using. I would love to see your pics, maybe I still will do it!
deidre12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:58 pm

deidre12345 wrote:By the way, I took this project on a day bus trip and finished through the back. A very relaxing quick knit! I used mercerized sport/dk weight cotton, sunny multi pinks with off white, my only hiccup and the reason I haven't finished is that I ran out of the white, waited for the store to get another shipment but their new dye lot of off white is much darker, I haven't decided yet what to do, but I am going to shop around for other similar yarn in other brands to see if they are more similar. Otherwise I will just use plain white and write it off as a play shirt and pretend it isn't noticeable.

Eta I did the size 5-6 and knit 9.5 inches to the underarm for my almost six year old, who is smallish for her age, something like 3.5 feet tall.

Deidre, aw I hope you find some that is aclose enough match.

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanHarvey on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:00 pm

This is the blue/green and yellow one I've done for Hannah in a bigger size, it fits over a tshirt quite nicely.

[img(400px,400px)][/img]

JanHarvey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KnittingMonkeys on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Janet, I just wanted to let you know that I've cast on today for the size 27 chest for my daughter who has a 25 inch chest. I'm using Sweet Merino DK in Mauve for the MC and Forest Path for the CC.
KnittingMonkeys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cicha on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:22 am

Janet, I redo shoulder shaping yesterday and I will need to add more length, my daughter didn't feel comfortable with armhole depth. She prefer more ease in that place for a vest, I hope is that okay with you? The more that I will need to add ribbing there yet and she already told me that doesn't like the fit under arms.
Cicha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aga2md on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Janet,
I have finished knitting the body of the vest and I just need to sew the shoulders together and finish up the ribbing. I added some extra length since my son is very tall.
Is there a link to a tutorial for sewing knitwear? I am terrible at seaming and I am not having luck getting the reverse St to look good. Alternately, is there a way to have the stitches kitchenered together or maybe a 3 needle bind off?! Thanks! I hope to have this finished and send you pictures in a couple of days.

aga2md

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  deidre12345 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:32 am

I finished my cotton version. It ended up being too short for Szonja, although I thought I added length. She will soon turn six and isn't super tall, though she may have a long torso because elena's patterns are also often short on her. It is eight inches from cast on to underarm not including sleeve ribbing. Eta it is 9 inches actually. I should have gone at least ten.

I have decided to give it to Nora, who has a 19" chest. I am going to redo the neck because it looks loose and sloppy on her.

Like Aga I found the shoulder sewing tricky and found myself wishing I could graft them. How is the best way to do that? I have my merino for the back to school one for Szonja and I bought his : http://www.ravelry.com/people/deidre12345/stash/bamboo-jazz-2 for doing Nora's.

Last edited by deidre12345 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
deidre12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum